Outrage at the Murder of Abortion Provider George Tiller, MD
May 31, 2009
Abortion provider George Tiller, MD, was killed today at his church in Wichita, Kansas. Dr. Tiller was one of the nation’s few late term abortion providers, and had been targeted by anti-choice extremists throughout his career. He was a former board member of Physicians for Reproductive Choice and Health, which today released a statement from board chair Suzanne T. Poppema, MD.
- Dr. Tiller, in his own words
- Read about Dr. Tiller's work as a physician
- PRCH presented Dr. Tiller with the 2007 William K. Rashbaum, MD, Abortion Provider Award
- PRCH board chair Suzanne Poppema, MD, remembers Dr. Tiller in a CNN profile and speaks to CBS News and the Wall Street Journal, The Nation, NPR, and the Associated Press
- PRCH board member Joshua Freeman, MD, remembers Dr Tiller
- Michelle Kraus remembers Dr. Tiller in a Huffington Post piece
- Feministing has a list of vigils
- PRCH board member Pratima Gupta, MD, MPH, spoke at a candlelight vigil for Dr. Tiller in San Francisco. Watch TV coverage of the vigil
- PRCH member Susan Wicklund, MD, spoke about Dr. Tiller with Rachel Maddow
- A clip of Dr. Tiller from Voices of Choice was shown in a CBS News report (at 1:04). Watch a longer clip of Dr. Tiller
- PRCH consulting medical director Anne Davis, MD, MPH, is quoted in a brief WNYC article
- PRCH would like to thank the blogs that have linked to our quotes, video, and interviews with Dr. Tiller, including Shakesville, Planned Parenthood Action Center blog, Slog, Our Bodies, Our Blog, and Crooks and Liars
- PRCH board member Frances Batzer, MD, spoke about Dr. Tiller's murder and later abortions on WHYY's "Radio Times"
- PRCH board chair Suzanne Poppema, MD, spoke with the American Medical News, the weekly newspaper of the American Medical Association, and the Everett Herald
- A PRCH member spoke anonymously with Michael Krasny at radio station KQED
- PRCH board chair Suzanne Poppema, MD, pays tribute to Dr. Tiller in a Los Angeles Times editorial
- PRCH member Wendy Chavkin, MD, MPH, remembers Dr. Tiller at NYDailyNews.com
Help us recognize Eve Espey, MD, MPH, and Willie Parker, MD, MPH, MSc, at the 2013 Rashbaum-Tiller Abortion Provider Awards.
Video: Pre-Roe Doctors
The documentary Voices of Choice features physicians and advocates who witnessed women's suffering before Roe v. Wade. They helped as many women as they could obtain safe abortions.
Who We Are
PRCH is a doctor-led national advocacy organization. We use evidence-based medicine to promote sound reproductive health policies. We believe in reproductive choice for everyone.
Show Your Support
Sign the Abortion Provider's Declaration of Rights. Stand up for patients seeking abortion and those who provide that care.
“I know that every time I do an abortion on a woman who chooses it, I am saving her life both literally and figuratively.”
Maureen Paul, MD, from “Why I Provide”