Recent Research by PRCH Physicians
This digest lists the research our doctors published in medical journals in February and March of 2011. The articles are grouped by general subject area and journal title.
Note: If marked with an asterisk (*), a physician named below is the lead author of the study.
Contraception and abortion
• Contraception: “Expanding medical abortion: Can medical abortion be effectively provided without the routine use of ultrasound?” by Dr. Alison Edelman et al; “Addressing Ob/Gyn family planning educational objectives at a faith-based institution using the TEACH program” by Dr. Maryam Guiahi* et al; “Vasectomy: The other (better) form of sterilization” by Drs. Grace Shih* and Willie Parker, et al.
• Journal of General Internal Medicine: “The impact of contraceptive counseling in primary care on contraceptive use” by Dr. Eleanor Bimla Schwarz et al.
• Obstetrics and Gynecology: “Second-trimester abortion for fetal anomalies or fetal death: Labor induction compared with dilation and evacuation” by Dr. Amy Bryant* et al; “Number of oral contraceptive pill packages dispensed and subsequent unintended pregnancies” by Dr. Phillip Darney* et al; “Long-acting reversible contraceptives: Intrauterine devices and the contraceptive implant” by Dr. Eve Espey* et al.
• Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health: “Predicting oral contraceptive continuation using the Transtheoretical Model of Health Behavior Change” by Drs. Angela Demsy* and Carolyn Westhoff, et al.
Adolescent sexuality and reproductive health
• Family Medicine: “Students as patients and teachers: Evaluation of an experiential emergency contraception project” by Dr. Melanie Gold et al.
• Journal of Community Health: “Chlamydia screening of adolescent females: A survey of providers in Hawaii” by Dr. Roger Rochat et al.
• Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology: “Adolescents’ experiences using the contraceptive patch versus pills” by Dr. Melanie Gold et al.
Help us recognize Eve Espey, MD, MPH, and Willie Parker, MD, MPH, MSc, at the 2013 Rashbaum-Tiller Abortion Provider Awards.
Video: Pre-Roe Doctors
The documentary Voices of Choice features physicians and advocates who witnessed women's suffering before Roe v. Wade. They helped as many women as they could obtain safe abortions.
Who We Are
PRCH is a doctor-led national advocacy organization. We use evidence-based medicine to promote sound reproductive health policies. We believe in reproductive choice for everyone.
Show Your Support
Sign the Abortion Provider's Declaration of Rights. Stand up for patients seeking abortion and those who provide that care.
“Whether she aborts or doesn’t abort, she’s going to have a lot of regrets ... [I]t’s terribly important that this decision not be made by fat, middle-aged men sitting in their ivory tower.”
William K. Rashbaum, MD, from “In His Own Words”