UPDATE: The vote to defund Planned Parenthood was defeated in the Senate. President/CEO Jodi Magee has released a statement.
Physicians for Reproductive Health is doing everything we can to counteract the harmful attacks on our colleagues at Planned Parenthood. In addition to our grassroots efforts, we have joined with 91 other organizations in a letter of support for Planned Parenthood to members of Congress.
Just this morning, we signed on to a letter with 17 other medical organizations to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH), urging them to oppose Congressional efforts to deny Planned Parenthood federal public health funds.
And of course our doctor-advocates are speaking out:
- Consulting medical director Dr. Anne Davis appeared on MSNBC’s Now with Alex Wagner in response to the video campaign targeting Planned Parenthood, and to offer scientific facts about fetal tissue donation.
- Dr. Davis was also interviewed by Yahoo! Health News about the importance of fetal tissue donation. This led to another piece on Yahoo! Health News about why women may choose to donate fetal tissue after abortion.
- Board chair-elect Dr. Willie Parker was interviewed by Cosmopolitan about why he is standing with his colleague Dr. Deborah Nucatola at Planned Parenthood, who is targeted in the video sting against her organization. His interview was quoted in an RH Reality Check article about why abortion providers should take legal action against the Center for Medical Progress, the anti-choice extremists who covertly recorded the videos against Planned Parenthood.
- Dr. Parker also appeared on the news program Democracy Now!
- Former Physicians board chair Dr. Suzanne Poppema published an op-ed in the Seattle Times in response to the attacks by the Center for Medical Progress.
- Leadership Training Academy alumna Dr. Sandra Penn spoke to the Albuquerque Journal in reaction to protests in New Mexico that aimed to intimidate women, defund Planned Parenthood, and interfere with access to safe and legal abortion.
- Leadership Training Academy alumna Dr. Jennifer Kerns spoke to Public News Service, an independent news organization that syndicates its stories on public radio stations nationwide, about the attacks on Planned Parenthood, noting, “Fetal tissue research is a longstanding area of research, and one that has consistently advanced science and medicine. Every member of society has benefited from treatment discoveries that have been made from this research.”
Tonight, the Senate will vote on defunding Planned Parenthood. If you have not already done so, please send a message to your Senators right now.
As an organization dedicated to ensuring that all people have access to comprehensive reproductive health care, we will continue to be alert to opportunities to show our support for Planned Parenthood and all of our allied organizations, and to protect our doctors. And, of course we will not be deflected from our larger mission of advancing reproductive health care for all through our physician-advocates. We thank you for your support that enables us to do this work.
Every day, abortion providers endure harassment and threats simply because of the care that they offer patients. The recent attacks on Planned Parenthood underline the reality of the anti-choice movement: They want to stop access to safe, legal abortion. The group behind this latest fraud has executed 10 separate attack campaigns over the last eight years in an effort to ban abortion and block women’s access to care at Planned Parenthood.
Here is President and CEO Jodi Magee’s statement on the Planned Parenthood smear campaign:
“Women who have abortions often wish to donate tissue for research that can lead to lifesaving medical and scientific breakthroughs. This is done in a generous and altruistic frame of mind with the hope that they can help support advancements in medicine and helping other women and families who would benefit from the research. There are legal and ethical standards that reproductive health care providers follow in order to facilitate these donations. Physicians for Reproductive Health deplores the deceptive tactics used to distort and malign the importance of fetal tissue donation and offers support for women and providers that make the compassionate decision to donate.”
Now more than ever, physicians who provide abortion care and the allied health professionals who work at reproductive health clinics need your support. Please share this image on Twitter, Facebook, or any other social media platform and tell your friends and family that you #StandWithAbortionCareProviders. Or, you can simply share our own Facebook and Twitter posts.